Saturday, April 27, 2013

EXCITE BOX !!!

     So were gonna start this weeks review off with a short video you can watch of the unboxing of the game.





           So here we are already to play our impressive looking bootleg copy of excite-bike from Korea when we pop it in the Ol fake NES and we see this.....
                   THATS NOT EXCITE-BIKE !!! Wait I know this game its P.O.W. !!!!
So lets take a minute to talk about something I briefly mentioned in the last article about Pirates. It is quite the regular occurrence in the Famicom collecting world to come across Pirates and Bootleg copies of games but it is also possible to find that those copies have a different game altogether loaded on them.
But when this happens in Cartridge form usually the Cart doesn't look as high quality as this one.











So I guess were not doing that review of Excite-Bike , Oh Well we might as well play what we got ........P.O.W. Which is just fine we got a nice surprise and hey I love P.O.W i had it in NES form as a kid it was a great looking SNK port of their own Arcade game by the same name. As i sit down to play through memory lane the realization hits me that I never could get far past the 2nd boss fight, oh well ill gave to try harder this time.

The japanese release of P.O.W. isn't any different except the cut scenes are in Japanese but its not hard to follow, your an American P.O.W. in some war, NAM I think and you wake up in a cell and blow the door off with some fuse and black powder you hid up your crack (where else did u hide it ).
Once the smoke clears you head out the gate punching and kicking your way to freedom, and when the hits connect and an enemy is beaten it makes this awesome gun shot like crack sound as the guy flies off screen as if your superman. A few times a level you can steal a M16 or Rambo knife from a enemy, the game also has huts, army trucks ( like in metal gear are huge on the inside) , doorways & etc for you to duck in and fight a small number of soldiers to get bonuses like health ,brass knuckles, or invisible bullet proof vests.

And here we go my childhood failures return Im at the boss of level 2 I die and game over....??  Wait Wha? Does that say 25 lives Holy Sh*t !! 25 Lives !! Im Alive !! Allow me to explain my shock, you see not only is this a weird trickery pirate copy on the outside  but the ROM of the game is a HACK, meaning it was tapered with to alter gameplay, in this case the game starts with 30 Lives.

Sweet !! Im feeling hungry now and revenge is on the menu !! I think of all the times i played this game as a kid and didn't beat it well here i come P.O.W. I got 30 Lives and i don't care how I got em.
I steady my path now trying not to waste any more precious lives and I soon discover i can kill the more annoying knife wielding green beret types by backing in to the wall and continually punching so they walk into my fists of fury ( ever notice guys with berets in NES games are always a pain ). Also jump kicking back and forth takes out the other enemy types pretty easily.....WHAT ?!?! Don't judge me I'm on a mission to save my childhood pride here.







I forge on and climb up ladder on the side of a 5 story building fight on the roof then decide to jump off the 5 story building and just walk away unscathed ..hey why not.  I get in a elevator and beat the crap outta some fat dude that takes like a 100 punches to beat while on a ride to nowhere, then send radio call for help where it looks to me like i request multiple copies of Final Fantasy 7 to be in my rescue chopper, Finally after face waves of the same enemies that are so bored of me that they even walk past me off screen, i get to Dunt Dun Dahh ...THE FINAL BOSS...... Which unfortunately for me is twice my size looks like John Matrix from Commando and does Guile's Flash Kick over and over again...But with my turbo like button punches I beat him and receive this .... a chopper rescue and a hug from Patricia Arquette.     Congraturation !!   No seriously it says that look below.

My childhoods pride has been rescued from P.O.W. I can finally sleep... Oh and some prisoner of war dude got back home too thats important... I guess.























No comments:

Post a Comment